Buying Rural or Lifestyle Property
Types of Farming
As you know there are various types of farming you can invest into. Our specialised rural salespeople have practical farming experience and generally live on their own land. They have excellent local knowledge to handle any enquiry relating to farming as a business in their area.
We have specialists in all areas including:
- and many more.
So when you contact us, rest assured that we can provide you with expert advice and guidance
Overseas Buyers and Investors
Are you overseas and would like to invest in New Zealand? Rest assured, you’ve come to the right place – we have experience in helping buyers located outside New Zealand. However, depending on the kind of farming you are interested in there are some things you need to be aware of, such as “sensitive land” – to make sure you understand the issues around this and other matters, you can visit the Overseas Investment Office's website www.oio.linz.govt.nz and take a look at our Overseas Buyers and Investors Guide.
Before buying or investing in Rural / Lifestyle properties it may pay to be aware of the following terms:
Sensitive land includes land of a particular type, such as farm land, that exceeds a particular area threshold. For more detailed information, go to www.linz.govt.nz - sensitive land
What is curtilage? The apportionment of curtilage is important from a GST perspective. Curtilage is the portion of a rural or commercial property which is used for domestic purposes (i.e. not part of the taxable activity) and as such is gst exempt. For more detailed information go to VCNZ Definition of Curtilage
Questions to ask your salesperson
There are a number of things to consider when buying a rural / lifestyle property. We have made a list of some of the most commonly asked questions we get from our clients. These are things to consider when looking at buying:
- How far from the motorway is the property?
- What schools are in the area? And does the bus pick up close to the property?
- What is the water supply? Is it town, bore or dam water? If bore, how big, how deep, how wide, flow per hour, water rights etc.
- What are the neighbouring properties/the area like?
- What is the contour of the land like?
- What’s the current owners grazing on the property?
- What is the soil type? What is it best for?
- What sort of stock can be run on the property?
- Is it suitable for horticulture?
- Are glasshouses allowed to be built on the property?
- Can a business be run from the property?
- Is the land subdividable?
- Are all buildings permitted/ consented?