Buying rural and lifestyle property


Our specialised rural salespeople have practical rural experience and generally live on their own land. They have excellent local knowledge to handle any enquiry relating to farming in their area.

Questions to ask your salesperson

There are a number of things to consider when buying a rural or lifestyle property. Here is a list of things to consider when looking at buying:

  • How far from the motorway is the property? 
  • What schools are in the area? And does the bus pick up close to the property? 
  • What is the water supply? Is it town, bore or dam water? If bore, how big, how deep, how wide, flow per hour, water rights etc. 
  • What are the neighbouring properties/the area like? 
  • What is the contour of the land like? 
  • What are the current owners grazing on the property? 
  • What is the soil type? What is it best for? 
  • What sort of stock can be run on the property? 
  • Is it suitable for horticulture? 
  • Are glasshouses allowed to be built on the property? 
  • Can a business be run from the property? 
  • Is the land subdividable? 
  • Are all buildings permitted/ consented?

Want more information about buying rural or lifestyle property?

Contact one of our rural branches.

The types of farming we specialise in

In New Zealand, there are various types of farming you can invest into. 

  • Bare land 
  • Cropping 
  • Dairy 
  • Equine 
  • Forestry 
  • Grazing 
  • Horticulture
  • Lifestyle 
  • Viticulture

Useful rural and lifestyle terms

Before buying or investing in rural or lifestyle properties it may pay to be aware of the following terms:


What is curtilage? The apportionment of curtilage is important from a GST perspective. Curtilage is the portion of a rural or commercial property which is used for domestic purposes (i.e. not part of the taxable activity) and as such is GST exempt. Find out more about curtilage

Sensitive land

Sensitive land includes land of a particular type, such as farm land, that exceeds a particular area threshold. For more detailed information, go to Land Information New Zealand.

There are certain rules and regulations around 'sensitive land' that you will need to be aware of. Land Information New Zealand, states that a transaction will require consent if it results in an 'overseas investment in sensitive land'. 'Consent is only required if you are an overseas person'.

Are you overseas and want to invest in New Zealand?

You've come to the right place – our salespeople have experience in helping buyers located outside New Zealand find a rural or lifestyle property in Auckland, Northland and the Bay of Plenty.

For more information visit the Overseas Investment Office or take a look at our overseas buyers and investors FAQs.